Wednesday, September 23, 2009

more from Madam Kwan's, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Was driven to try Madam Kwan's again last night and glad that tried more food from this popular Malaysian restaurant.

1. Ipoh soup noodle - worth a try as it combines the shrimp and chicken taste in the soup. 2. stir fried choy sum in garlic. I noticed the Chef used an old method of stir frying choy sum and I think it's almost gone in most Cantonese restaurant in HK except my favourite Kum Fat in Tong Tai Street of Shaukiwan (where the street is famous for the fish ball noodle soup in Shaukiwan) and some seafood restaurants in Lamma Island or Cheng Chau...etc. (those fishing village area), which still practise this kind of original stir-frying choy sum. First, the choy sum got in a quick boiling in the boiled water (what we called frying water) for about 20-30 seconds. This way, the choy sum will be cooked more balanced. Then put the choy sum at a quick stir frying at ultra high heat with garlic or ginger and round it up with a chicken broth.

3. Campur - ice bed over corn, red bean, green stuff...etc. I am not too sure but the red syrup seems to be a "rose" flavour syrup. Quite refreshing. 4. Chendol - out of curiosity of why SS enjoys this dessert so much and kept re-ordering at Grey Hound. Now I know why and this one is even more attractive. They use caramel syrup which goes with the coconut milk. Must try at Madam Kwan's.
5. mixed Chendol.

3 comments:

Stella said...

Ipoh Soup Noodle was my favorite when I visited Malaysia with my brother.
The noodle was so smooth.

Stella said...

Why I like Chendol so much is because this drink was my childhood dessert order in HK so it brought me some pleasant and precious moment in my childhood/teenager years.(Another childhood dessert order in HK was the red bean ice added with Carnation canned milk.)
And I do like coconut taste as well as the "Q"(chewy) texture of the Chendol jelly.

in the sea said...

SS, now the local tea restaurants use the famous "black and white" brand for their various drinks or desserts... Carnation is for home use. Anyway, those evaporated milk is a bit too thick to me and it upsets your stomach if you take too much.