Sunday, September 27, 2009

Noodle & Congee (元朗學記), Food Republic, Taikooshing, Hong Kong

OK, another noted outlet at this food republic. At first when it was opened, I believe due to some cooking machine or utensils restriction, their noodle is not that good as the one in Yuen Long. So today I felt like a congee and tried it. Found out they used the old method of "high heat" congee boiling. Nowadays many shops talk about the pasty texture (綿) but the original Cantonese congee should be with some cracked rice in the congee as this way you can taste the "rice" aroma. Quite many disregarded the "rice" aroma and just put salt, soy sauce to make it "taste". Then they tend to the "pasty" texture which is usually stirred up by some rice flour and it's the fastest way to make it done and look like the congee is well boiled.

1. the classic preserved thousand year egg and salty pork congee - pretty good! 2. the shop at Republic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thousand egg salty pork congee is my favorite. I order this whenever I go to Phoenix Food Boutique. My other favorite congee is Scholar "Cup Dai" Congee but they don't have it here in LA. And I like to put the Chinese Donut in the congee.
By the way, the Chinese Donut here is baked so not as oily as the traditional one's.
SS

Thailand Club said...

i like congee too, almost all kind of congee

in Bangkok, only place u can eat a bowl of decent congee is Green House @ Landmark Hotel

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot how the original congee taste. Now many restaurants have the pasty congee like you said faster and look good. will try this one because it's easy to find. Taikooshing plaza is my favourite place.

in the sea said...

SS, baked donut means bread, doesn't it? "Cup Dai" congee has lots of ingredients and it's difficult to have those in LA.

Oh, yes, I forgot Landmark on Suk. Their congee is very HK standard and even better than some congee shops in HK. I mean the congee base. I forgot what TC usually ordered - Chicken?