Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dynasty Chinese restaurant, Renaissance KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

When I looked at my window outside from my hotel (Maya), I often got to see this Renaissance Hotel (used to be New World) and realised I forgot making use of my Marriott Gold card (BTW, JW Mariott on Bukit Bintang has outsourced most of the restaurants to their annexed shopping mall Star Hill. The only restaurant you can have the dining benefit is just the Shanghai Restaurant inside the Marriott main building.). So passed by it and originally planned for the int'l buffet but felt a bit too much from the buffet for the past week (almost 3 times already plus the breakfast buffet for the past 2 mornings.). So the dimsum buffet by Dynasty Chinese restaurant got in my eye sight and it's just RM28++. However, when I checked with Dynasty, the waitress told me the gold card can't be used without even checking on it. Later on, when I spoke this to my local friend, I got told that it's simply because the waitress didn't feel like checking on it as it would cost her some checking. So when we tried to order 2 different kinds of tea, then she said "then you need to pay an extra cost for 1 more person.". When the bill came, it showed there was still an extra cost for 1 more person. Though it's not that much (RM5), it told that waitress was either unwilling or lazy to check it. Anyway, I have been a bit too much busy and didn't feel like bothering with this kind of things until I got back to the hotel and re-think the whole thing again.

OK, back to the food, I think it's a bit unfair if I take the original Cantonese cuisine taste to comment. Just like when I am in Cannes and forced to go with my Chinese business associate to sample a sweet and sour dish at Euro 30 but it turned out the one by Panda Express from LA is already 10 times better than that one I paid for Euro 30. So I then re-calibrate my tasting and checking on the below:
1/2. the restaurant inside.
3. the dining ware. 4. pickled ginger/thousand year egg/jelly fish - quite average. The jelly fish was a bit over-cooked but the good thing is that it's rinsed well - at least it's not with any sand.
5. deep fried wonton - pretty good and they freshly made it, which is already a good mark. 6. deep fried (marinated with shrimp paste) chicken wings. So putting aside the taste of shrimp paste, this one is very nice - the final step of the frying being dried and crispy is done well. To me, the shrimp paste is a bit smelly but I think it's the local taste as like I told you the lasak's shrimp taste is a bit smelly to me.


7. ok - the flour base is nicely done for this BBQ pork bun. The bun was broken out enough to show the BBQ pork, though the BBQ pork is a bit dry. 8. Siu Mai (pork dumpling) - pretty good and very fresh ingredients.

9. Har Gau (Shrimp dumpling) - this one is beyond my expectation - the dumpling's skin is nicely made - not mashy and a bit chewy but not too hard. 10. Chicken with ham/mushroom/taro dumpling (雞札). Supposed this one should be with a ham slice, mushroom slice, taro slice and being tied up by a beancurd sheet. This one is just steamed chicken with mushroom. The taste is average.

11. Hot and Spicy soup - if we don't refer it to the renowned hot and spicy soup and take it as a sweet and sour soup, then it's ok, taste-wise. 12. I don't know what the fish patty is and it's a bit smelly. Supposed this one should be put inside the green bell pepper.

13. Cheong Fun with BBQ pork - the Cheong Fun itself is ok but the sauce is a bit too sweet. 14. pork knuckle and egg with ginger in black sweet vinegar. Very disappointing. Let's say if the Chef can't get the Chinese black sweet vinegar (八珍甜醋), then he should at least thicken the sauce with the collagen of the pork knuckle and the sliced cane sugar and one to two star anises. This one is without any vinegar taste and not even with any ginger aroma.

15. Cheong Fun with Chinese doughnut inside - quite average. 16. Chinese jelly but I don't know what this taste is from....

17. Longan with sea coconut - though I don't like this dessert, if the dessert should be served chilled, then it should be chilled enough, so this one saved a mark on it. It's very chilled.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i checked the Gold booklet, both Renaissance KL and JW Marriott KL r not a participating property of Marriott Gold Card program; only Miri Marriott Resort is

so maybe that waitperson answers such question many times during a week, so she can answer yours without hesitation!

in the sea said...

Before making a decision on trying this Dynasty restaurant, we asked the other cafe at the West Wing of this Renaissance and they said we can use that card after they called their management office; so for JW Marriott for their Shanghai restaurant... Mmh....

Stella said...

I cannot believe Panda Express in LA is 10 times better than the dish you paid for 30 Euro.
The dim sum above don't look too good. I think even BKK and LA are better than the above, and yet this restaurant is already high- end in KL.
So the Chinese Food in KL is not as good as those in BKK(or even LA), and let alone to mention HK.
So HK people are lucky as the food there is super. Second lucky shall be those at BKK la.

Anonymous said...

no, second lucky shall be those in Vancouver

in the sea said...

Yes, I think Vancouver is much better than any other places in terms of Chinese food. :) However, due to some ingredients' restriction, they may not do well on some of the dishes...

Stella said...

Vancouver may have good Chinese food but I don't think the price is as good as those in BKK though. Yes and they may not have some of the ingredients. At least those "Wou Huen", "Pak Kwok", Orange Peel are banned from importing to US/Canada.
And some Chinese veggie may not be available either.

Grace said...

Just thought you might be interested to know that the best Cantonese food in Malaysia isn't located within high end hotels, so it isn't entirely fair to brand that Chinese food in KL isn't as good as the ones overseas.

Having said that, I do acknowledge that cosmopolitan cities overseas do import the best chefs from their native countries. The best Cantonese food I've experienced so far is at Melbourne. There is always a consistent long queue outside that restaurant during dinner peak hours!

in the sea said...

Thanks Grace for the comments. I admitted that there are some very nice Chinese restaurants in KL and other cities and I did visit some very nice Chinese restaurants in KL, which are quite nice. However, supposed those high end hotels should have their restaurants be up to certain standard so as to maintain their quality and services.