Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Padi, Furamaxclusive Villa Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

The Padi is the only restaurant in this resort but it's pretty good. The breakfast starts from 7 to 11am. The only other hotel I had breakfast which serves breakfast until 11am is Dream Hotel, Bangkok but I prefer the breakfast here to the one of Dream. In Ubud, you can feel light breeze cooling you off under the shade. So you would slowly enjoy your breakfast.
1/2. the breakfast is not in a big variety but it has 3 jucies, and lots of fruits and they have a heated pastry warmer and their croissant and raisin roll are pretty nice.
3. Someone may think why they cut the watermelon with the outer white part but I do it at home when eating water melon. The white part does have its special "melon" fragrance which balances the sweetness of water melon. The papaya here brought back my old memory of 20 years ago of my first trip to Bali. The hotel charged HK$4 (US$0.6) for a papaya juice. So I took it like water. The papaya in Bali doesn't have the "wood" smell as in Chiinese papaya means "wooden melon" which means it has some wood smell. The fruit here is quite natural and not that artificially sweet and very juicy. 4. My favourite bread! I had 3 different bread and 3 different pastries for each breakfast!
5. When I first went to the States, my friend ordered an "over easy" and it showed like this. That solved my question since my high school til 1994. I often asked how to say 荷包蛋 in English and almost no one knew it and they often kept saying "sunny side up". So "over easy" was then so deep in my mind, especially it meant so much to me for the person who taught me this, but interesting as a native American caucasian he often wrote "there" as "their". Later on when I met more Americans, it turned out quite many of them (even attorneys) wrote "there" as "their". Anyway, "over easy" is really a nice term as it just needs to be turned over and not to have it too well done; so just to be easy. 6. You may think it's not that good by looking at the presentation of this local food. They used semi-sun-dried shrimp 安蝦 in this mixed veggie. semi-sun-dried is less salty and it's sweeter than the dried shrimp. This kind of dried shrimp is no longer popular in Hong Kong. The only place I can still find it may be in my child-born place Shaukiwan, eastern part of Hong Kong island. So this veggie does bring back my old memory. Interesting enough at the night before flying to Bali, I dreamed of my grand mom. making the fish net over the water-house in Alrich Bay of Shaukiwan - the old fishing village and now it's the luxury harbour front high rise residential buildings and public houses. When I saw the people working in the rice field and plantation field, it really makes me treasure our food we take each day - so thankful!
7. On another morning, I ordered an omelette and it's pretty good. Their tiny potatoes are good too and it tastes a bit like yam. 8. congee and it's quite old Chinese style - some dried fish chunks in the congee!
9/10. the Padi at 4pm.
11. ordered a mini tea set - just a perfect size.

12. tried a local Indonesian dinner set menu (US$25 plus 11% gov't tax and 10% service tax). The garlic bread is charcoal grilled. The buns are warm too. So good. 13. local chicken and glass noodle/bean sprout soup - it somehow reminded me of another soup I tried in KL. It's quite nice and their chicken meat does have the chicken real taste! Must be a free range chicken.

14. Gado gado - the typical Indonesian salad. Though I don't like peanut dressing but occasionally it's still a good balanced diet. 15. steamed rice to go with the curry chicken.
16. Curry chicken - not that spicy but it has the curry taste and the chicken is quite nice. 17. fresh fruit as the dessert - simple and healthy.

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

so from ur description the fruits in Bali shall taste more natural than Thai fruits sometimes i found them too sweet

Stella said...

Did you have the "Ga-do-da-do"(the famous Indonesian salad with peatnut sauce dressing, just like Pad Thai for Thai food)?

Anonymous said...

the Gado Gado is on pic #14, u need a pair of new glasses

:)

in the sea said...

Yes, I can say so and even for their chicken, real free range chicken. Now I know my local Indonesian business associates go to Bali every 2-3 months. He said Bali is so unique in the Indonesian culture.

Stella said...

Oh I saw the Ga-do-ga-do in #14.
Thanks TC.