Monday, September 21, 2009

Madam Kwan's, KLCC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Haven't been to KL for almost 2 years and it seems like there have been quite some changes. Due to the low cost airlines being competitive, CX offered a deal for just $1k something to KL but the flight I took this morning is just 20% full and it's a code-share flight with AA/MH/BA. I also noticed a Hong Thai tour group; so without that tour group, what would it be like. Actually today and tomorrow is the Muslim holiday Hari Raya (not sure the exact spelling) and it's kind of a celebration after their one month fasting from dawn 'til dusk. So lots of places offering buffet. However, my first choice upon arrival is Madam Kwan's and I do miss their chicken thigh a lot as well as their Kwai Thew. So it turned out I didn't get disappointed.

1. the shop inside and it's 3pm still quite busy. If it's 6-7pm, you need to queue. 2. the left one is the famous Milk Tea (拉茶) and I guess it's also how the HK milk tea get adapted from. The right one is papaya juice - very papaya and naturally sweet.

3. the sauce. 4. the renowed Madam Kwan's fried chicken thigh - RM8.50 for one and this dish is with 2 thighs. The chicken has "chicken" taste and most of all it's quite similar to the Cantonese deep fried chicken (童子雞). I guess it should have been wind-dried a bit before deep frying as the skin is very crispy thin. The frying technique is pretty good and juicy inside.

5. Forget the original name and it's the Malay pickled veggie (sweet, sour and spicy). It seems to me it's another Kimchi veggie but sweeter and more sour. 6. My favourite Pad Si Er (but in Malay style). The bean sprout is quite sweet though. *when I uploaded the photo, I found out I missed taking the photo of the curry laksa.... sorry, but I can tell you it's also good though I don't like coconut much.
7. the shop outside.

6 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

Arghhh! You're in KL! Should have let me know earlier, can arrange for dinner with other floggers who are in town. Try Grandmama's at level 6, Pavilion. Opened by Madam Kwan's Granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

hahaha seems the local brand Madam Kwan beats MO's sucks Lai Po Heen (she never grows up?)

f&b director of MO KL, u owe the MO Group a resignation letter!

Stella said...

Yes the food here does look better than those in MO, KL.
But please give the MO-KL chef a chance. Sometimes it may be the management problem or local people like this kind of taste.

in the sea said...

Thanks Android. Will check on Grandmama's - what a name to recall my grandma. I kind of msss her and something she told me about cooking and what to eat and our ascendants' inherited knowledges about food's nature.

BTW, MO KL also changed a bit as compared to my first stay back in their opening in 1998 fall, service-wise. I think even the local chain Chinese restaurant Tai Dhong (not sure about the exact spelling as I only remember their chinese name) (大同) and it's like the Maxim's group in HK, can beat Lai Po Heen.

Nux V said...

5. That pickled dish is called "Acar"
6. This looks like fried flat rice noodles or known as Char Kuey Teow (pronounced as: "Chow Kway Tew" in cantonese). It isn't a malay dish, is a fusion of chinese mix malay dish.

in the sea said...

Thanks for the note. After a few years, I gotta know it's Kway Tew. I like it pretty much.