Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mooichido, 若狹家 Sushi Rice, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan

On the first night, I had such a nice sashimi on sushi rice at this shop. Then on the last night, I decided to try their sea urchin and sakura shrimp sashimi on sushi rice. This shop will be on my "must visit" list in my future trips.

1. minced fatty tuna belly/baby squid/sakura shrimp/sea urchin on sushi rice at JPY1,300 (US$15). So oishi! The sea urchin is very fresh and so aromatic. I need to let it stay for a while in my mouth and let the "sea" flavour be suspended. I spent more than 30 minutes to finish this perfect sashimi. The rice is so good and balanced with the sushi vinegar and it's perfectly cooked - soft and tender but separated and not mashy. BTW, the soy sauce in this shop is very special. It's not that salty but with a strong flavour of the soy sauce and freshen up the rice and sashimi but not overwhelm the sweetness of the sashimi. 2. Salmon roe/minced fatty tuna belly/baby squid/salmon at JPY1,100 (US$12). See how transparent and fresh color of this salmon roe. It's interesting that when I checked on all those salmon in many shops and even in the supermarket, the salmon didn't look fatty. I wondered if they tasted good, but it did!

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow the sushi rice is killer food for Stella

if she go to JP, i think both Chris and Stella can eat sushi rice everyday

Stella said...

Yes sushi rice is our favorite. That is why Chris always said he likes to go to Japan. But I told him since Japan costs twice the price of BKK so if we go there he has to eat only half of what we eat in BKK. Then he drops the idea.

in the sea said...

SS, then why don't you try make sushi rice at home. It's not that difficult. Go get some Japanese rice and some Japanese vinegar for sushi, and a big flat container or pan. Let the rice be cool down a bit and mix the rice with the vinegar. There should be some very nice sashimi available in the grocery of LA. Just put the sashimi on it and wasabi with soy sauce on the side. :)

Stella said...

You are right SEA. But I am afraid after I get all these ingredients and make it no one likes this food any more.:(

in the sea said...

It's just the rice.. If they don't like it, then it's just the rice. The sashimi is still the same, and then take the sashimi only.