Monday, January 04, 2010

Parade on local food, Tokyo, Japan

Browsing supermarket in Tokyo is often interesting, though we don't need to buy anything. Supposed photo taking is not allowed inside the department store but I did it very quickly and in discreet. So some photos might not be taken at a proper angle or frame.



1. Buffet buffet and buffet - this big crab legs are a must for a seafood buffet. At JPY398 for 100g, it's easy to spend a few thousand yens (US$30-40). 2. This one is more expensive as it has thicker meat.


3. This dried shrimp is really refined and selected but the origin is from Taiwan. Processing is in Japan. So it's not a discrimination but this one processed in Japan looks a little better than those processed in Taiwan or Hong Kong. We call it sakura dried shirmp 櫻花蝦. 4. more refined dried sea products.


5. Before packing my stuff in my luggage, I thought about bringing a soft ice packing bag to get something exotic. However, our post-bin laden travel era is still evolving. Bringing stuff is of a strict concern, but when I looked at this nice roes, I felt regretful. Look at the price - JPY1,0xx (US$12)! 6. And JPY5,250 (US$58) for this nice big red snapper... Even I didn't get a try, seeing is already a nice gift to me.


7. Do you remember a big corner of the New Damaru store in Causeway Bay HK in the 80's? This is what we used to get - deep fried artificial seafood patties by 紀文。8. Live abalone from 長崎 at JPY5,800 (US$65) and it's bigger than my palm! Suggested eating as sashimi! Note the skirt is not very dirty. I felt very itchy! 8. OK, if JPY5,800 is a bit too much, some other choices for below JPY2,000 but they are almost half size as the previous one.


9. I even felt the clams are a lot more tasty. 10. See all these big prawns, especially the middle one - 9 strips prawns. It's the best! Actually all these are very fresh as you can tell from the meat transparency and texture.


11. 4 for JPY1,880 (US$22). It's a really good deal as one prawn is already more than 10 inches, like a baby lobster! One big 9 strip prawn at 7 inches would cost around HK$60-80(US$10). 12. Salted roes. Looks so pure and yummy too! Note they are on a nice filet shape.


13. Big Apples (at least 7 inches in diameter) from 青森. When I stood in front of all these beautiful apples, I smelled a very strong apple's fragrance. Note the ones on the lower shelf. They are JPY298 (US$3.3) for 2. If I bought it in HK, it would at least HK$60-80(US$10). Immediately I bought it. To be reported separately. 14. OK, more delicated? Check this nice gift box for 7.


15. Broccoli from 崎玉 at JPY238(US$2.6). Look at the tightly grown of this broccoli. My tips for you to get nice broccoli - the more it's tightly grown, the better the broccoli is. The color should be in some subtle refreshing deep green. Anyway, those in this photo is a good example! 16. Wow JPY2,000 (US$22) for a whole filet of salmon roe. So next time we should have a group of 4 persons staying at a service apt. and simply go to the supermarket for an a-larte-carte self service meal!


17. Gorgeous sashimi platter! Look at the scallops! 18. Someone said it's a monster in the ocean but it's the most clever sea living thing. The Japanese said eating this monster would help boost up one's brain. So the Japanese already found it out a long time ago before the scientific research.


19. Say hello to our pink friend worth JPY10,000 (USR110). 20. JPY4,200 for 100g for this nice beef. That means one piece would cost you around JPY20,000 (US$220).

9 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow tempting eye-catching buffet

next time u may stay in a serviced apartment, so u can cook them all by yourself

Stella said...

Hi SEA,
I am amazed even you are not allowed to take pictures and yet you can still take so many good pictures secretly and quickly.
I have been told(nicely) not to take photo inside 99 Ranch Market, Bristol Farm, Starbucks, and Whole Foods. But I noticed Pixmation did take photos at Whole Foods Super Market though. I think he also took the photos fast the way you did. Or you guys had a hidden camera.:)

Anonymous said...

Wow. this is more colorful than Citysuper in Hong Kong. the beef is so expensive in Japan.

Thailand Club said...

most important is u don't use the flash to alert people (didn't i tell you b4), then staff actually would bother u too much for 1-2 picture taken as long as u don't bother the customers

in the sea said...

I think sometimes people would rely on those IA function on the digital camera. So I would recommend buying a camera with an aperture around F2 (e.g. Panasonic LX3 or Canon S90) or those with an advanced electronic optical processing part like Fujifilm EXR technology. This way you can save not using flash but still take a nice photo.

Besides, like TC said, as long as we don't bother the other customers and that we take the photos in discreet and quickly, we should avoid being complained. Then with my DSLR, I would just hang it on my neck and I take photos just by my guessing to the angle. :)

Stella said...

You guys are smart. Yes, taking photo without flash is not as noticeable so less chance of being caught.
Har SEA, hanging the camera on your neck to take picture? That is so cool. You made me think of those detective taking secret photos, or those doggy reporters putting their camera up over their head in the air shooting the photo blindly by luck....
Let me try next time and see.
:)

in the sea said...

BTW, sometimes you may need to pick up some food and pretend you are checking on the expiry or the ingredients..etc., while you hold the camera with one hand and take photos at the other food. :)

Stella said...

You can be a private detective or the doggy paparazzi SEA.

in the sea said...

I would leave that to someone who are good at it.