Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My own private French meal, Cannes, France

I made a big mistake in trying some restaurants being not environmentally friendly with olive oil, cheese and butter., and there I run into trouble with my stomach. Anyway, I gave up on posting those, since I was further claimed that I shouldn't make negative comments on certain restaurants but forgive me if that upset you.

However, in taking this instance I wanna share with all of you that I have been missing so much my most and once hated English teacher at my primary three - Ms. Yim. She is the only teacher I can still remember her name as she is the most harsh teacher I have ever met, but it turned out I need to thank her for being strict on her students including me, simply because I am so thankful that I can still know how to read "go went gone", "swim, swam, swum". If I didn't read those well, she would beat my palm with her wooden ruler. So it turned out my English jumped by 2 grades under her strict teaching. So the old Chinese saying is quite right "lenient mother would have spoiled kids.". Also, some conventional sayings from our seniors "oh, this is my beggar kid". "this is my thin and naughty kid". The word looks mean but it has its underlying stimulant. Hope you get it.

After all, she is not that horrible. When she knew I lost my mother, she simply hugged me in her arms and let me have a quiet lesson instead for that day.

OK, back to my meals in Cannes for the past 2-3 days. I had some food not so fresh (shrimp and squid dead for a long time and together with drowning olive oil and beds of cheese...., from salad to dessert. My stomach finally raised its white flag. So I went to the market and bread shop and gave my stomach a holiday!

1/2. to absorb the excessive acid due to greasy food, bread is the one.

3. apple is also good too in this instance. The apple here has some kind of pear flavour while orange has apricot. Very nice! 4. of course, my most favourite water.

5. roast chicken is good as the oil is already drained during roasting. This chicken is a bit strange that the chicken breast tasted quite bitter. So I gave that up for not taking any further risk. 6. remember not to eat the feather left on the skin. By the way, it is very common the leather contain quite some dirt or mud in it. Better clean that well before cooking. Otherwise, make it skinless.
7. raisin toast as my dessert. :)

4 comments:

Stella said...

No wonder your English is very good. Thank to your Mrs. Yim.

I would like to use "This is my fat, lazy and dumb kid" instead of "thin and naughty kid".

If you have too much acid in your stomach, try to eat papaya as the alkaline can balance the acid.

If too much gas, try to eat toast, or toasted crackers, or rice cracker as they can absorb the gas faster.

Stella said...

It is also good to chew some fresh orange skin or fresh lemon/lime skin too for too much acid or indigestion. The best is to let yourself burp burp burp like the baby. After the burp you will feel good as the gas is out.
This is proven successful by the "fat, lazy and dumb kid".

in the sea said...

My English is not that good but in time when we notice how the others write and speak and we get to learn from the others. I can still pick up a large no. of typo and grammar/usage mistake of my previous writings on this blog. :)

Re my stomach, I have a pile of medicine. So don't worry. Yes, papaya is good and I love it but it is a tropical fruit and right now France is in Winter season. Imported fruits are often expensive. So I would rather rely on medicine.

Stella said...

As to grammar and usage, even native Americans have many mistakes. In fact, most of the Chinese have better grammar than the Americans although we cannot speak as fluently as they do.