Monday, November 30, 2009

2046 with Cafe de Gold Finch 金雀餐廳, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

I guess about 10 years ago I had a dinner set at this restaurant at just HK$40-50. As the movie "2046" took the shooting here, the price has gone up to HK$90-100. Anyway, forget about the price and let's go back on a time journey.

1. the paper napkin is cool... 2. the table setting is quite cozy (or I can say "congested").

3. the red soup. 4. the toast.

5. the butter and the wet napkin. 6. OK, HK style spaghetti with beef filet in black pepper sauce. See that frozen veggie.

7. this one with rice but the rice was a bit too wet. The beef filet wasn't bad but the cooking was really HK style, especially the black pepper sauce. Though I don't like this way it's cooked, it did bring back some old old memory. So the price of HK$85 for this set meal would mean something to you not just on the $. 8. Iced lemon water and hot one.
8. Vanilla ice cream. 9. the restaurant posted the movie poster 2046.

11/12. special set menu to get on the 2 movies by Wong Kai Wai, "In the mood for Love" & "2046".

13. another view to the restaurant. 14. the entrance.
15. the restaurant.

4 comments:

Thailand Club said...

both Gold Finch and Queen's in the area r still in my memory

but hk$90-100 a set is quite crazy Gold Finch dares to charge

maybe to sponsor the renovation cost!

Stella said...

This place is like those HK Steak House in my good old days.
I still remember Windsor Steak House, Chereekof and those local HK Cafe Steak House. Your black pepper steak sauce here is exactly those I had. But I liked to order the sizzling one if I had the chance.
And the red soup here is exactly those free soup I have at Garden Cafe.
Your menu here is also similar to those in HK style Cafe here in LA. Except Escargot is not usually included. Typical price for this menu(skip the escargot) is $10 US per person.
We had turkey plus lobster tail Thanksgiving dinner at Garden Cafe last week. Dinner included clam chowder soup, bread and butter, shrimp salad at $14.99 US. Drink charge $1 US with dinner order.

in the sea said...

Queen's now opened 2-3 shops (1 in TaikooShing) but then I got told they are not good as before. I think it's all about our old time being less picky for food quality. :)

Yes, $90-100 for that quality is quite expensive. Even Tsui Wah's set meal is at $50-60 but it's a whole lot better. So coming here is for the atmosphere.

SS, do you know there was a genuine Garden restaurant (owned by Garden bread/cake) in Shaukiwan? It's at the beginning of the super steep Chai Wan Rd. from Shaukiwan. Garden restaurant was crushed by several cars and trucks back to those old days. That Garden did impress me with this kind of black pepper sauce. Later on the cream bun and peanut butter cream bun were introduced...

Stella said...

Yes I do remember there is Garden Restaurant and also Garden Bread. Their "Life Bread" is my favorite. I used to eat half loaf at one time as night snack.