Monday, November 30, 2009

Yataiya Japanese restaurant 屋台屋, Craig Rd., Quarry Bay, Hong Kong

The disappointment from the Noodle Plus I tried last week gained me a happy finding with this nice Japanese restaurant just next to Noodle Plus. The shop offers quite a big variety of Japanese food, from grill, sashimi, noodle soup, tempura, rice and various snacks or stir fried dishes. They have a menu of various mix and match for you to get an appetizer/a mini bowl of rice with a big bowl of noodle soup plus a coffee/tea at a price range of HK$50-70.

1. I chose a mini-bowl sashimi on sushi rice. It's not mini at all and the rice was quite nice and it's almost a full size. Cha Siu ramen - it's a very big size to me and the presentation is pretty nice. Lots of veggie inside. The soup base is quite average but what can I say at just HK$60? Actually I couldn't finish it all.
3. deep fried chicken on rice in curry. The curry is very nice and the deep fried chicken too. 4. So add HK$5 to get a scoop of ice cream; so I chose green tea - pretty nice.

5. Iced coffee - this one is a bit disappointing as it's quite dry but can't complain about it much since the price is already a bargain. 6. the shop inside is quite in Japanese style.

7. In walking into the shop, a very nice water tank with beautiful coral fishes swimming to greet you. 8. the shop entrance.
9. the BBQ area. 10. When going back home, I took another view to my giant neighbour - Island East. This giant friend can be seen from Chai Wan to Tsimshatui/Hung Hom.

2 comments:

Stella said...

This restaurant is very cheap for its big portion, nice presentation and also the atmosphere.
I am surprised the portion is so big for this cheap price. Cannot complain.
This kind of mix-and-match menu is popular in LA. But the price of this kind of food shown here shall be at least $12 US in LA.

in the sea said...

I passed by this restaurant tonight and noticed they have some Japanese clientele. It's not strange as Tai Koo Shing does have quite a large no. of Japanese expat.