Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sushi One, 一壽司, Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Sushi has come and gone for the past few decades in Hong Kong and now almost every street corner, you would find a sushi shop. In general, most of the shops charge from HK$6-40 for an order.

1/2. the shop inside.

3. the sushi bar. 4. crab roe mango salad HK$22. They shouldn't use the almost rotten mango. I just put those mango slices aside but I didn't feel like telling them. If they want to notice, they should. Can't complain much this kind of sushi shop.

5/6. various sushi. The rice itself is pretty nice and the way they hand-grab it is also quite of a technique. Quite firm but not very hard for you to chew. The rice temperature is nicely controlled.

7/8. all about salmon. I started finding it a bit too much for most of the sushi with crab roe.

9. Sashimi on mini-rice HK$28. Pretty nice. 10. deep fried chicken bone joints. At average to me.

11. Burnt sushi - I actually don't recommend using the gas burning directly on the food. I prefer the natural fire cooking (like wood or charcoal). 12. Beef hand roll - average.

13. Tuna hand roll. Also at average. 14. Japanese yam salad - also at average.

15. More crab roe to go. Really a bit too overwhelming. 16. the shop entrance.

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

it is rare that SEA eat sushi in HK, maybe u would like to make ur Tokyo trip more a pleasant one :) hehe

in the sea said...

I used to take sushi quite often back to the 80's as I am a carbo. person but then the sushi became a bit too salmon/crab roe-oriented. Yet, the fish are now mostly farm fish. Besides, wasabi was my most favourite dipping but the wasabi has been no longer that original - all made in powder or paste. No more freshly crushed wasabi. Just some little thing can make the dish so different. That made me stop taking sushi for quite many years.

Stella said...

I think sushi and sashimi food in LA are the best, in terms of freshness and the price.
Today we went to Old Town Pasadena's SHABB(77 N. Raymond, Pasadena). Chris had one lunch set of Chirashi and Tempura Udon with price of $9.80 US. I had one set of sashimi with Tempura and Sea Bass with same price. And the portion is big and fish so fresh. Remember this shop is at Old Pasadena area and yet the price is still so cheap.(Because the owner/chef bought this building 20 years ago so no rental expense and therefore they can afford lower price.) The average wait here is 45 minutes(including waiting time, ordering time before the food comes to our mouth). Every time we complain about the wait but we still keep going.
This is my regular lunch place with co-workers since it is only 3 blocks west from office, and also Chris' regular visit on Saturday.
I will bring you here if you come to LA(hope at that time the owner/chef is still here-he is at his 60's).
P.S. Dinner price is 60% more of lunch price with similar portion.
However, dinner is also packed. Average wait is 30 minutes.

in the sea said...

I can say N. America (west coast) is good for the fresh fish and so the Japanese food benefits from all those fresh resources. I kind of miss the sashimi and sushi in Vancouver. OK, the waiting time doesn't matter but the bet of the US$135 for a travel visa does. I can buy a roundtrip ticket to BKK at just US$100 on Jordan Air... hehe :)

Stella said...

I agreed with you SEA. US is stupid enough to make it hard on issuing the travel visa. Very stupid.