Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hung Hom, Kowloon

Since the West subway system has been thru' to Hung Hom all the way from the North East Territories (Tuen Mun, Tin Shui Wai and Yuen Long), going to downtown TST and Hung Hom for connecting the other transportation is much easier than before and it just takes 30 minutes. In taking this convenience, I come to this area for seeing a best friend who needs wheel chair facilities. Thanks to the West subway line!

1. Entrance to the Hung Hom Harbour Tunnel (opened since 1973). Took the bus 102 from Shaukiwan to Sham Shui Po to see our grand uncle/aunt. Bus 102 also meant so much to me as it was the first bus I rode across the harbour with my mother sitting next to me a few months before she left and it might be the last bus ride she sat next to me. We were sitting at the 2nd row on the upper deck. As the bus approached the tunnel's entrance, I still remember she said "now we are going under water" and so these few word often rang up in my ears whenever I passed this tunnel. 2. See this tunnel is 24 hour busy and still the most frequently used no matter how many other tunnels have been built.

3/4. Another memorable place - Hung Hom train station. It took over the Tsim Sha Tsui terminal train station almost at the same time when the tunnel was opened. Took a no. of trips to Guang Zhou, Shen Zhen and New Territories. Thank you so much for your heavy burden with all of us.

5/6. Went to the Choi Foo Chinese restaurant 彩福皇宴 (the Chinese name is very splendid). The food in general is at average and reasonable to its prices.

9. A bit surprised with the way they made the "Kum Lo (mixed sweet sour) sauce". They put BBQ pork in it and it's quite a classic one. However, the won ton is just deep fried won ton wrap.
11/12. So HK$19 for a bird's nest with egg white in young coconut - we wouldn't think it's the genuine bird's nest. It turned out to be our expectation but considering taking a egg white, it's quite ok.

13/14. the Metropolis (a big mall opposite to Hung Hom train station) good for the shoppers to get the last minute shopping before they head on the train.

3 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

Hong Kong is an amazing place. So vibrant and ever evolving. Was there last Sunday to Tuesday for a Meeting and the weather was chilly and drizzly. Wished I had more time, but got stuck in the Hotel and had generic Hotel food, the type you can find everywhere.

But the Energy of HK is pulsatingly frentic as usual. No time to be complacent and lazy, everybody walking in a fast pace! Unless I were in the NTs or the Islands.

Stella said...

Hi Paranoid, yes HK has a fast pace and it is forever evolving. That is the unique part of HK. Not like LA -no change for 50 years.
Hi SEA, I really like your tour and the bus ride around the city. Thank you for the tour.
Your bus ride with your mom is very touching and sentimental.

in the sea said...

Hi Android, your stay in HK was a bit too hectic but I understand it esp. it's on business and the meetings are already much too occupying.

yes, even for myself, when I am in a working mode, I also talk fast and walk fast so as to keep the pace.

SS I understand what you said about CA. It may be good for no change.