Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wo Hing preserved pork sausage shop,和興腊味 Sheung Wan, Hong Kong

The last time I tried the preserved pork sausage was almost 25 years ago... I am glad they are still here.

1. The shop is on Queen's Road Central to West in Shanghai. However, due to the pork price going up, their sunny dried sausage are now quite expensive from HK$120 to $180 range. 2. See this nostalgic plastic bag.
3. This fried fish maw is unlike the other ones, less greasy and I was amazed; so got one bag at HK$20. The shop's old man was interested to hear me call it 爆肚 and said "oh, young man are you a chef but you don't look like. 4. I picked one piece of golden ham with some fat lines in the ham. So HK$36 for 2.5 oz isn't bad. OK, better seal it tight and put it in the fridge before use.

5. pork sausage. Will try it and see if they keep the old good quality. 6. Red bean and it's very shiny red, just like those I bought under a shop at Canal Road. This kind of shiny red bean may be from Tein Jin. To be reported....

4 comments:

Stella said...

The Chinese sausage and the golden ham with this price.
The 2.5 oz golden ham here is almost $10 US. Do you mean to put in the fridge is good enough Chef SEA? No need in the freezer? (Provided I need to keep them for one months.) For everything I need to keep over one month I automatically throw them to freezer any way(except chocolate and candy or cake).
For red bean, "Gate G" or red date, I was told not to get too red or too shiny, as those mean the vendors have used chemical or some coloring to make them look red or shiny.
Try to buy those with dull red color instead.

Anonymous said...

the plastic bag is very old style like my mother bought 20-30 years ago.

in the sea said...

SS, sorry I mean freezer. oops... but best to seal it tight. Re red bean, yes, I know your concern. So the old man did notice I checked the beans and I saw some worse ones among them. Besides, one important thing is to check on the white line in the bean middle. If it's not that white, don't buy it, as the red is colored. So you also need to check on it on the whole and in more details. Anyway the other one in dimmer color is also good but just this one has better sandy/pasty texture.

Someone may have spoken too much, just like people often telling "oh this pineapple/water melon must be soaked in heavy syrup.". So please stand out to see the whole picture. The sugar price is now going up and up, almost 4 times higher than 4-5 years ago. To make a whole pineapple sweet enough, you need to use more than 1 lb of sugar, which is HK$10. If we go to a market, we can buy 2 pineapples. So if anyone notices the canned pineapple's price, it's now almost over HK$15 with only 8 slices.

When one bad news happen, it doesn't mean it would apply for all. There are still some many large exceptions.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the advice on picking good red beans.