Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cold Cold Hot Hot Pot - Lido Hot Pot 麗都集團總廚火窩, Wanchai, Hong Kong

Due to the massive cold front from north west and north east sweeping thru' China down to Southern China coastal area, HK has unually been dropping to 10 degree celsius and broken the record of November. The weather can be really extreme. So in seeing this restaurant promoting their buffet hot pot and show a net price as HK$108, my feet immediately jumped into this restaurant. It's on the 3rd floor of the Emperor Group building at the junction of Johnston Road back on Hennessy Road.

1. So the soy sauce, chilli and various juices are inclusive. I prefer this kind of net incl. price without any trapping misleading misc. charges, like peanut as $10, chili at $20, tea@per head $8, hot pot soup at $40-70. So even if some others say it's $88 for all-you-can-eat, it would turn out the bill would be over $150 to $180 per person. 2. So I chose the drunken chicken soup base. The chicken is pretty nice and has chicken taste.

3. All right - put the chicken first to make a nice soup base. I would recommend to get some soup before putting all the other hot pot food so that you can try the real taste of the soup. It's pretty good. 4. Then order a deep fried fish skin - very crispy and even after dipping in the soup for 10 to 15 seconds.

5. The shrimp and oyster are a bit beyond my expectation - pretty fresh. The restaurant offers bean sprouts from Beijing. Then they have the black pig's pork (bottom one). In general, most of the food are pretty good but avoid to take the faked crab fillet and fish ball. Anyway, $108 net is a very good price. Though some food are not too good, I can't have any complaint considering paying for such a good price.

9 comments:

Thailand Club said...

what, drunken chicken hotpot, u r so devil :( i want to eat too

Anonymous said...

I miss the Hong Kong hot pot and the Taiwan too.

Stella said...

Yes Anonymous 8:31 Am, I miss everything from HK too. I am glad you do too.

Yes SEA, this $108 HK buffet hot pot is good price. So not every good restaurant is expensive in HK.
Is this Emperor Building has a hotel called "Emperor Hotel"? As my cousin mentioned she stayed there in June this year with $100 US per night only. But from her picture it looks more than that.

Do you know where is Reservoir Road in HK at? I just got one customer coming from HK today and she told me she lives in the Reservoir. I hope she did not really mean she lives in the Reservoir but instead it is Reservoir Road(I guess). Never heard of that place though.

Anonymous said...

$108 covering all including juice is very good. and you can eat oyster and shrimp. Normally it is about $160 for one person added all the tea and snack fee.

in the sea said...

Yes, $108 net is a good price especially for some nice shrimp and oyster. Note the oyster fresh enough to shrink quite much. Unlike some "big" oysters are still big as its original size in some hot pot restaurants (esp. in Kowloon City), to my knowledge, I have no idea what species of oysters which don't shrink even 1%. Yes, those monster oysters don't shink a bit and it's like a big sponge in the pot. Some people often think big oyster means good but to me it's not. It's the taste and texture.

SS, Emperor Hotel is quite close to the HK Sanitorium Hospital (養和) in Happy Valley. If possible and if your friend is a lady, try to tell them not to stay in that hotel. If no other choice, ask them to go back to the hotel before 9pm. There were a few times when I sent my SE Asian friends back to that hotel at around 10pm, the hotel was very busy with many "professional" ladies and I was once solicited if I would care for some "professional" services.

Emperor building is just opposite to the gas station in Wanchai Hennessy Rd/Johnston Rd (夏巴油站).

Reservoir Road - there are many reservoir rd. If you type this name at ypmap.com (a yellow page for map direction for HK), there are at least 4. One in Tai Tam from Wong Chui Hang to Stanley/Tai Tam. The other one is Shek Pik (prison in Lantau island). Then one is at Aberdeen and another one is Pok Fu Lam. Is she an expat. or a local HK. If expat, she may lives in that Yeung Ming Garden up on the hill slope over Aberdeen/Wong Chuk Hang to Repulse Bay. I guess the expat. may not know Shek Pik, Aberdeen.... She may just think there is only one reservoir in HK and HK means Causeway Bay, Central and Tsimshatsui.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the detail explanation on Emperor Hotel and the Reservoir Road. Yes I will tell other ladies not to stay at this Hotel unless they want to "look professional".
:)
Yes my customer friend is at Tai Tam Reservoir(I just looked at her info faxed to me today).
:)

in the sea said...

Yes, Stella, please tell your "non-professional" friends not to stay at that "professional" hotel.

That's a good place on taking a view to Victoria Harbour and the southern side of HK.

Stella said...

OK, will only tell the guys to stay at that "professional" hotel.

No wonder my friend told me last time he went to HK someone asked him at the hotel did he want a "dolly"? And he said it is ok as he will get the dolly at the Toys R Us.

in the sea said...

Haha... Toys R Us..