Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tom Yam Krung - what does it mean?

Last night I watched a TV special hosted by the famous said-to-be experienced food critic Mr. Choy Lxx. Every time I passed by some shops with some photos of him, I would feel relieved from my immediate thought "no need to go in. Thanks Mr. Choy for saving my time.".

So Mr. Choy described the Thai cuisine only has 5 to 6 dishes variety and he translated Tom Yam Krung into something which made me burst into laughters. He said Krung means river prawn - ok this part is nothing wrong. So what do you think he referred "Tom Yam" to? I think anyone who has been to Bangkok more than 2 times should know what Tom Yam means; so please write to Mr. Choy and tell him the answer. Now this guessing for Mr. Choy's own translation is very simple - check what is it about "Tom Yam Krung".

So as per his claim - only 5 to 6 dishes? Mr. Choy, kindly go check TC's site to enlighten yourself please.

Furthermore, when he talked about dried seafood, he claimed those shark fins are tasteless and just only the chicken stock making it taste, and the collagen is not that good as the fin's skirt. Mr. Choy, if your family is from a fisherman, you wouldn't say so. Shark fins do taste! Put 1 bowl of plain chicken soup and 1 bowl of chicken with shark's fin soup - can you tell the difference? It's the natural sea taste from the shark! Just like the DJ Leung telling abalone is tasteless. Do they ever think only soy sauce or oyster sauce is tasty? Those are for the level of flavour! Just like bird's nest, people compare it to snowy fungus. Do they know how the swallow eat the micro-organic stuff in the clean Indonesian unspoiled ocean water and the rare minerals got diversed by the swallow back to their babies? If their xxxx high tech. machine can't detect those refined micro-organic stuff, it's the program of their technical level. My personal combat experiences told me bird's nest, abalone and even shark's fins did help me recover so well from the time I was put in hospital. I ate so much pork/chicken but still felt so weak for a month until my aunt suggested me take bird's nest and later on abalone to help me on my throat problem. They all worked. Why those vitamins don't? I agreed that we shouldn't over-consume shark's fins, bird's nest..etc., but those are really good for the sick people. I even don't agree with someone claiming bird's nest stimulating the cancer cell to grow because it is nutritious and gives the energy for cancer cells. If so, why on the other way, some nutritious drinks like the one by Abbott is highly recommended for the patients? Why only the western canned food drink would help, based on those "machine tech." formula?
ok, this is the Tom Yam Krung made by Samsen soi 3 by Chaophrya River.... the best I ever had! Thanks TC and Madam Fa for the patronage as I know you both can't take hot food much.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think in the past many many years the other people often question some old Chinese medical methods. but anyway the chinese medicine help a lot of people. Choy said Tom Yam is not hot sour and spicy.

Why the director don't tell him before the show is on TV. I think the people around him should know, or they want mr. choy to look stupid in the show, just like content of the tvb drama series. maybe it's true.

Stella said...

Yes I agreed with Anonymous 2:13 pm, I think that was really a comedy show to make the rotten veggie(Lan Choy) look stupid and funny.
I don't believe TVB did not do their home work and therefore don't know what Tom Tam Kung means. I don't think HK celebrity gourmet can be so ignorant. So this was really a joke either way.

Thailand Club said...

tom yum in Thai language doesn't directly refer to spicy and sour as it translated in English, the translation was inspired from the taste of the soup, spicy and sour

tom is just any liquid form food or just mean "boil", like khao tom = boiled rice soup, while tom yum = spicy and sour soup, the key word is on the "yum", yum itself doesn't mean spicy and sour either, it is food that taste spicy and sour, can be salad, can be appetizer and of course can be soup

sad to tell Sea that Samsensoisam was a history, however no need to hunt far for another bowl of good tomyumgoong, a decades old restaurant that cooks excellent tomyumgoong hotpot is just near Central Rama3

in the sea said...

Thanks TC for the exact meaning of Tom Yum. You did tell me the Thai word would vary in meaning, depending on the words pre or post it. Good to know one at Central Rama3.... :)

Mmh.. Anonymous and SS, I think what you think is a bit too TVB drama. I notice Choy Lxx even said "Western food is very boring, only salt and lemon, no other seasoning.". I was wondering if Mr. Choy has browsed the seasoning section of Lawry's and how the Western chefs prepare the stock... There are hundreds of herbs in western cuisine.

in the sea said...

BTW, he said Tom Yum is "hot pot"...

Stella said...

WOW TC, thank you for the explanation of the word Tom and Yum. I think maybe lots of Chinese Thai don't get this meaning right too. Forgive the rotten veggie. As his last name is Tsai(veggie in Mandarin sound) and that means very lousy in Taiwan.

in the sea said...

However, Mr. Choy does have a very professional knowledge about history but I don't know why lately he seemed to be another person and gone a bit too extreme and forgetful.

Stella said...

I think Mr. Veggie is getting old and forgetful. That might be the reason.